The Department of Mathematics at the Ohio State University maintains an advising office that provides services to students, parents, faculty, and academic advisors across all Colleges on main and regional campuses pertaining to math department majors/minor information, honors information, transfer credit evaluations, math placement information, math proficiency testing, and difficulties in math.
Advising Office Info:
Location: Room 250 of the old Mathematics Bldg, 231 W. 18th Avenue.
Walk-in Hours: Mon-Thurs 10 am - 4 pm, Fri 10 am - 1 pm
Phone Number: (614) 292-6994
Fax Number: (614) 292-0167
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Like us on Facebook.
Currently four advisors are available on a daily basis:
- Judie Monson retired at the end of 2012
- Diana Bevilacqua, who has a Bachelor's and Master's degree in Mathematics Education from The Ohio State University
- Rodica Barbu, who has a Bachelor's from Romania and Master's degree in Mathematics from The Ohio State University
- Heather Kellert, who has a Bachelor's in Mathematics and Master's degree in Mathematics Education from the University of Washington, Seattle
- Kelsey Boyd, who has a Bachelor's in Mathematics from The Ohio State University, earned a teaching license from Capital University and a Master's in Educational Administration and Leadership from Ohio Dominican University
The Advisors are available for assistance in the following areas:
- Evaluation of Transfer Credit-- transfer students with "general" or "deferred?" credit need to bring, send or fax their transcripts, transfer credit evaluation, detailed syllabi, notes, and/or texts. (No appointment is necessary.)
- Arrangements for proficiency Exam Credit -- syllabi provided, suggestions for self-study guides, and the referral slip which students present at the Testing Center.
- Special course enrollment information -- Eligibility to audit, and permission to skip or concurrently enroll in math courses, when circumstances warrant.
- Information on Math Placement and testing -- provide information on retesting and re-evaluation of placement levels.
- Information on the requirements for the various programs in math -- the math major tracks and minor, the actuarial science major, honors information, and graduation with distinction.
- Other math-related questions -- sequences, special courses, course number changes, petitions, requirements for different degrees, and other issues.
- Difficulties and Complaints -- discussion of difficulties with a particular mathematics course or with mathematics in general