EM (Proficiency Exam) Credit
If you are current Ohio State undergraduate and interested in obtaining EM credit or testing out of a course in mathematics, you must meet with one of the mathematics advisors to determine your eligibility for the exam and to obtain a testing referral. You must satisfy the prerequisite for the course and not have a previous mark in the course (including a grade of W or R for audit). EM credit is not awarded for courses 1050 or 1075, but a score of 70% or higher on these tests could permit you to skip the course and advance to a higher course. A syllabus for the course is also available at this link. All exams are taken in the Ohio State University Testing Center in the Student Academic Services Building on Lane Ave.
Things you should know about taking an EM credit/proficiency exam in mathematics:
- The test is similar to a final exam in the course
- You will have 2 hours to take the exam
- A grade of 80% or higher is required for credit; You must have an 80% or higher for courses Math 1151, 1152 and 2153.
- Depending on your major, a grade of 70-79% may permit you to by-pass the course and continue to the next course in the sequence
- Partial credit may be awarded
- You have one chance to take the test
- You must bring a testing referral, that was obtained in room 250, Math Building 231 W. 18th Ave., and your ID
- Students with disabilities
should contact the Ohio State Office for Disability Services, (614)
292-3307, to make alternate arrangements for taking any math exam.
- Results can be obtained from Room 250 Math Building two or three days after you have taken the test.
- There is a fee for EM exams given at the Office of Testing for math courses numbered 1130 or higher.
Courses in which proficiency Tests are available:
- 1050, 1075; You may use any non-graphing scientific calculator.
- 1130, 1131, 1148, 1150, 1151, 1152, 2153; You may use any battery-operated calculator (including graphing calculators but NOT a QWERTY keyboard machine such as a TI-92 or TI-Voyager, or a calculator with computer symbolic algebra).
To fulfill the ASC Basic Skills requirement:
- You need a score of 80% or better on the 1075 EM exam
Last updated by devol-bevilacqua.1 on 02/22/13